Canadian Visa Eligibility: The Top 8 Questions Answered

Are you interested in studying, working, or immigrating to Canada? If so, you’re probably wondering if you’re eligible to apply for a Canadian visa. Fortunately, it’s not as difficult as it seems! We’ve taken the most frequently asked questions about Canadian visas and answered them here to make the process easy and understandable to anyone seeking information on Canadian visas. Read on below to find out more about Canadian Visa Eligibility requirements and start exploring what opportunities await you in Canada!

Is my education eligible?

There are five types of education that may be eligible for points under Express Entry. These include: a) secondary school diploma; b) one-year post-secondary program; c) two-year post-secondary program; d) bachelor’s degree or three years in a row at a university or CEGEP in Quebec; and e) master’s degree, doctorate, or professional degree. This is Canadian Visa FAQ! To read more click here. What is my work experience?: Canadian Visa Eligibility A job offer will give you enough points to qualify for Canadian permanent residence if it’s in an occupation on Canada’s National Occupation Classification (NOC) list of Skill Type 0, Skill Level A, or B. For example, a NOC level A job such as an accountant would get you 60 points while a NOC level B job such as a cook would get you 50 points. This is Canadian Visa FAQ!

Am I eligible to work in Canada if I have a Bachelor’s degree?

You are eligible to work in Canada with a Bachelor’s degree, but there are some requirements. Firstly, you need to have your degree assessed by NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) if it is not taught in English or if it does not come from an English-speaking country. Secondly, you will need a job offer for at least one year that has been approved by your local employment office. Thirdly, you need to have received a score of at least 7 on your IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test – but only in Listening and Reading. Speaking and Writing do not count for points toward Canadian visa eligibility for working in Canada with a Bachelor’s degree.

How much time can I spend outside Canada on my study permit?

Generally, you may be outside Canada for up to 180 days in any given 12-month period (the government calls it a calendar year) without having your study permit revoked. This is called a period of temporary absence. However, if you’re eligible for and choose to apply for an eTA before leaving Canada, your travel must be restricted to countries that have been approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). You can’t leave or enter Canada using an eTA-approved travel document. If you have left or re-entered Canada with an eTA after being issued a study permit that doesn’t allow you to leave or re-enter Canada freely while it’s valid, your status could be revoked when you try to return.

How do I extend my study permit once it expires?

If you’re in Canada on a study permit and have finished your program, or have been unable to complete it because of factors outside your control, you can extend your stay until a decision is made on your application. However, if you’ve overstayed or violated other conditions of your study permit, extending won’t be an option. It’s always best to plan ahead by applying for an extension at least 30 days before your current visa expires so that any issues with processing can be avoided. To learn more about applying for an extension and what to expect from immigration officials during an interview, check out our guide here.

What are the benefits of studying in Canada?

Canada is a big, multicultural and bustling country. Not only that, but it is also one of the most beautiful countries in North America and its higher education system has been highly ranked by many global surveys. What’s more, Canadian universities offer competitive tuition fees to international students. Many world-renowned universities are situated in Canada, including McGill University (Montreal), the University of Toronto (Toronto), and Simon Fraser University (Vancouver). Studying in Canada is an experience you won’t forget! Getting a Canadian visa can be a complicated process, so make sure you read our guide to help your chances of success! Find out if you qualify for a Canadian student visa or what other options are available when you are denied.