Everything You Need to Know About Canada Visa Eligibility and the Canada Visa FAQ

Are you looking to live and work in Canada? You’ve come to the right place! Here you’ll find everything you need to know about Canadian visas and Canada visa eligibility, from which ones are best for you and your career to how much each visa costs and the total cost of getting a visa. We’ll even cover the Canada Visa FAQ, so be sure to read through the rest of this guide to get answers on everything else you need to know about applying for and obtaining a Canadian work visa.

Who can apply for a Canada Working Holiday Visa?

Anyone between 18-30 can apply for a Working Holiday Visa. The only requirement is that you are not currently in Canada, do not plan on going to Canada for vacation, and do not have any relatives living in Canada. Note: The maximum age limit may differ if you are from a visa-exempt country.

How much does a Canada Working Holiday Visa cost?

Canada Working Holiday visas, also known as International Experience Canada (IEC) permits, are granted free of charge. The good news is that you don’t need to pay for your visa in advance; it’s issued when you arrive at a Canadian port of entry before you start working. The bad news is that it isn’t actually free; getting a Canada Working Holiday visa means participating in IEC programs that cost money.

What are the requirements for a Working Holiday Visa?

A working holiday visa will allow you to live and work in Canada for up to two years, with the possibility of extending your stay beyond that. The requirements are fairly simple: be between 18-30 years old, plan on working at least 20 hours per week (in relevant employment), have a valid passport from your home country, have enough money saved up for travel costs, etc. To get more details about these requirements check out our post The Best Way To Get A Working Holiday Visa For Canada.

Do I need any documents before applying for a Work Holiday in Canada?

Yes, you will need some documents before applying for a Work Holiday in Canada. For example, your passport must be valid for at least three months beyond your expected stay. In addition, all passports must be machine-readable (containing a digital chip with biometric information). Finally, you will need a round trip plane ticket or return ticket to enter Canada as well as proof of financial self-sufficiency and ties to your home country. A bank statement is sufficient for proof of financial stability in many cases. However, depending on your country of origin, proof of employment may also be necessary. Again, if you’re planning on visiting Canada only to work or look for work—rather than vacationing—proof that you can support yourself is needed before entering Canadian territory.

Who needs to obtain police certificates as part of their application?

Police certificates are a requirement for every applicant 14 years of age or older. The police certificate is proof that you don’t have a criminal record in Canada or elsewhere. If you were ever charged with a crime, even if it was dismissed or withdrawn, you must obtain a police certificate (unless eligible for an exemption). If any of your family members were charged with, found guilty of, or convicted of crimes, you must obtain police certificates for them as well. To get a police certificate for yourself or anyone else in your family (including children), contact your local police department and ask about getting criminal background checks performed on these individuals.

I am over 35 years old, can I still apply for a Work Holiday in Canada?

Of course, you can! However, be aware that depending on your country of citizenship, your age might make it more difficult for you to apply. If you are from a European Union country, or Taiwan, South Korea or Japan then there is no maximum age limit at all. If your nationality is outside of those countries then you will be assessed on a case-by-case basis, so check with WorkCabinet before making any application. The Canada Work Permit requirements have changed significantly over recent years so if in doubt go directly to Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) website. CIC will give you clear information on all requirements prior to a visa application and they even have an online help section that includes an extensive Canada Visa FAQ page!

What is the difference between regular and young applicants?

There are two types of Canadian visas: permanent resident visas and temporary resident visas. In order to be eligible for a Canadian visa, you must be able to meet certain Canada Visa Eligibility requirements that differ between each type of visa. Applicants can also be part of Canada visa exemptions, meaning they do not have to meet any specific requirements as long as they are from certain countries. For example, if you hold a valid passport from one of these countries listed below, you are not required to complete an immigration medical exam or criminal record check in order for your application status on your application status page in getting confirmation that your details have been received by us.

Can my spouse/partner come with me if I get a Work Holiday visa for Canada?

Canadians frequently ask whether they can bring their spouse or partner with them when they get a Canada Work Holiday visa. Unfortunately, there is no such provision within Canada’s WHV program. The WHV application, which is administered by IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada), requires Canadians to declare whether they intend to return home after their stay in Canada, or if they plan on settling in Canada long-term. If you don’t expect to return home after your WHV period expires (usually 12 months), then IRCC won’t issue you a visa.