Visa requirements for business travel to Canada from the Czech Republic

When planning to visit Canada, Czech citizens need to consider what kind of visa they will need for entry into the country. If the purpose of their trip to Canada is not business-related, then they will likely only need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly there. However, business trips from the Czech Republic require more preparation and attention to detail, as visas will be required in addition to an eTA. This article will outline some of the details that Czech citizens need to know when arranging their Canadian business travel visas as well as how they can apply for them.

Documents required

A valid Canadian passport, a Canadian Permanent Resident Card or a Canadian Refugee Travel Document, an unexpired visa, and a return ticket. A visa is required for all stays in excess of six months in duration. For stays of less than six months, if you are entering as a tourist or visiting friends or relatives, a visitor record is sufficient. If you need to extend your stay while on business travel you must apply at CIC (formerly IRCC) before your authorized stay expires. Canadian Visa for Czech Citizens

Other documents required

Business contact letter, proof of sufficient funds, invitation letter, hotel confirmation, and a return ticket. If you are visiting family or friends in Canada for more than 90 days (or even less), you will require a TRP visa. TRP stands for Temporary Resident Permit and it is given under certain circumstances, such as business trips of between 8 and 24 months duration. Depending on how long your stay is, you may also need to have medical insurance coverage while in Canada. If you are coming with a family, they should get their own Canadian Visitor Visa which will allow them to come and visit with you in Canada.

Visas on arrival

In 2016, CIC launched an electronic visa (eTA) system, which applies to all visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to or through Canada. This allows a Canadian immigration officer at a port of entry (such as an airport) to issue a visa on arrival without prior approval. eTA eligibility does not guarantee entry into Canada; it only authorizes you to apply for admission and present yourself at a Canadian port of entry. A separate eTA application must be completed and approved before every trip; you will not be able to board your flight without it. As of March 2017, only citizens of Brazil, Bulgaria, and Romania are eligible for eTAs; other nationals must apply in advance.

Documents required for transit through airports in Canada

Canadian citizens (and any foreign travelers with Canadian permanent residence) are permitted entry into Canada through any port of entry, i.e., airports, seaports, or land ports, provided they have proper identification documents and proof of citizenship. If a traveler is entering Canada through an airport, they must provide one of these valid Canadian travel documents: a passport; a Canadian citizenship card; a NEXUS card; an enhanced driver’s license (EDL); or an approved refugee travel document issued by Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). All persons over 18 years old traveling through any port of entry in Canada are required to present one piece of identification that includes their name, date of birth, and photograph. Canadian Visa for Business Visit

Travel visa exemption (if applicable)

The Government of Canada allows visa-exempt foreign nationals who are citizens of some countries to enter Canada without a visa, as long as they meet basic criteria. Citizens of countries that have signed a visa exemption agreement with Canada do not need a Canadian visa if they have proof of citizenship and are traveling directly from their country of residence through an airport or seaport designated by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or any Canadian preclearance area. For example, many European Union member states in Eastern Europe as well as Australia, Brazil, Hong Kong SAR (China), Israel, Japan, Mexico, and New Zealand citizens may enter Canada with proof of citizenship and remain in-country for up to six months. The United States is an exception: U.S.

Other requirements by the embassy of the Czech Republic

A passport must be valid for at least 3 months beyond your intended stay in Canada. If your first visit to Canada is less than 6 months, you may also need a visa if you are planning on staying in any country other than USA and Mexico prior to entering Canada. All visa applicants must have a passport valid for at least one month beyond their intended stay. If you have no address in the Czech republic then it would be helpful when they process your application, so please provide proof of address (i.e., utility bill or lease agreement). It is preferable that documents are submitted in English or French by not required provided they have been officially translated into English or French by an authorized translator.